The problem of breast cancer is being studied for a long time. Questions of reducing morbidity and mortality remain unresolved due to the lack of effective ways of primary prevention. As the etiological factors of breast cancer describe a huge number of reasons, including environmental factors. Some chemical substances in the environment show the estrogen-like activity in the study of biological systems. Unfortunately, relatively few researches were devoted to studying the influence of chemicals on the possibility of carcinogenesis, initiation and progression of breast cancer. We do not know how they affect the expression of important prognostic receptors. The purpose of the study was to examine the expression of receptors estrogen, progesterone and еpidermal growth factor in the tissue of malignant breast tumors under the of trace elements influence on the body.
We determined the morbidity of breast cancer in Sumy region by the histological studies in women for the period from 2009 to 2013. The breast tumor tissue for the immunohistochemical study was divided into two groups. The group 1 (the breast cancer tissue of women who lived in environmentally contaminated region) included 26 cases; the group 2 (the breast cancer tissue of women who lived in the environmentally clean areas) – 17 cases. Immunohistochemical reaction occurred in two stages using rabbit antibodies. Evaluation of the expression of ER and PR was performed by the method DCAllred. Evaluation of HER-2/neu expression was performed according to the recommendations of American Pathologists Consensus and the Office of the Food and Drug USA.
The results of the study confirmed that the morbidity of breast cancer in environmentally contaminated regions almost twice higher than the environmentally clean areas of Sumy region. In addition, we found the increase in expression of epidermal growth factor and the reduction in expression of steroid hormones in environmentally contaminated region. Consequently, іt proved the negative effect of trace elements on the course of breast cancer.
Key words: morbidity, tumor, expression, receptors, metals, immunohistochemistry, trace elements.
The full text
- Zotov AS, Belik EO.Mastopatii i rak molochnoy zhelezyi [Breast disease and breast cancer].Medpress–inform111 р.
- Buharin DG, Velichko SA, Frolova IG. [The diagnosis of breast cancer on the background of fibrocystic disease]. Sibirskiy onkologicheskiy zhurnal. 2011;2(1):14–15.
- Hirose K, Matsuo K, Iwata H, Tajima K. Dietary patterns and the risk of breast cancer in Japanese women. Cancer Science. 2007;98(9):1431–1438.
- Lissowska J, Gaudet MM, Brinton LA, Peplonska B, Sherman M, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N. Intake of fruits, and vegetables in relation to breast cancer risk by hormone receptor status. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2008;107(1):113–117.
- Gudmundsdottir K, Ashworth A. The roles of BRCA1 and BRCA2 and associated proteins in the maintenance of genomic stability. Oncogene. 2006;25(2):5864–5874.
- Neyshtadt EL, Vorobeva OA. Patologiya molochnoy zhelezyi [Pathology of the breast]. SPb.: Foliant, 2003. 197 р.
- MissmerSA, EliassenAH, Barbieri RL,Hankinson SE.Endogenousestrogen, androgen, andprogesteroneconcentrationsandbreast-cancerriskamongpostmenopausalwomen. Journal of National Cancer Institute.2004;961856–1865.
- Martin MB, Reiter R, Pham T, Avellanet YR. Estrogen-like activity of metals in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Endocrinology. 2003;144(6):2425–2436.
- Dopovid pro stan navkolishnogo prirodnogo seredovischa v SumskIy oblastI u 2009 rotsі [Report on the state of the environment in Sumy region in 2009]. Sumy: Ellada Sр.
- Mudryiy IV, Korolenko TK. [Heavy metals in the environment and their impact on organіzm]. Vrachebnoe delo. 2002;5:6–9.
- HankinsonSE, Eliassen AH. [Endogenousestrogen, testosteroneandprogesteronelevelsinrelationtobreastcancerrisk]. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and MBiology. 2007;106:24–30.
- Horn-Ross PL, Hoggatt KJ, West DW, Krone MR.Recent diet and breast cancer risk: the California Teachers Study.Cancer Causes Control. 2002;13:407–415.
- Hassouneh B. Tetrathiomolybdate promotes tumor necrosis and prevents distant metastases by suppressing angiogenesis in head and neck cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics.2007;61039–1045.
- Kagara N, Tanaka N, Noguchi S, Hirano T. Zinc and its transporter ZIP10 are involved in invasive behavior of breast cancer cells. Cancer Science. 2007;98(5):692–697.
- Hashemi M, Ghavami S, Eshraghi M, Booy EP. Cytotoxic effects of intra and extracellular zinc chelation on human breast cancer cells. European Journal of Pharmacology. 2007;55(7):9–19.
- Tarutinov VI. Molochnaya zheleza: rak i predrakovyie zabolevaniya [Mammary gland: cancer and precancerous]. Kyiv: Poligrafist Publ., 2006. 415 р.
- Avtandilov GG, Perov YuL, Grigoreva SG, Zayratyants OV. [Pathohistological diagnosis of precancerous processes and breast tumors]. Arh. Patologii. 2001;2:26–30.
- Damenia AO, Turkevich EA, Semiglazov VF. [Biological features of tumors in breast cancer patients younger than 35 years]..2007;53674–676.
- Esslimani-Sahla M.Increased estrogen receptor betacx expression during mammary carcinogenesis.Clinical Cancer Researc: an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.2005;11(9):3170–3174.
- Omoto Y, Inouse S, Ogava S, Omoto К.Clinical value of the wild-type estrogen receptor beta expression in breast cancer.Cancer Letters.2001;163:207–212.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P. Global cancer statistics. CA: a Cancer JClinicians. 2005;55(2):74–108.
- Jackson LW, HowardsPP, Wactawski-Wende J, Schisterman EF. The association between cadmium, lead and mercury blood levels and reproductive hormones among healthy, premenopausal women. Human Reproduction (Oxford, England). 2011;26(10):2887–2895.doi:10.1093/humrep/der250
- Harris L.Update of recommendations for the use of tumor markers in breast cancer. .2007;25(33):5287–5312.
- ChesnokovaNP, BarsukovVYu, PlohovVN. [Risk factors for breast cancer]. Uspekhisovremennogoestestvoznaniia. 2008;1:30–36.
- Nofech-Mozes S, Spayne J, Rakovitch E, Hanna W.Prognostic and predictive molecular markers in DCIS: a review. Advances in Anatomic Pathology. 2005;12:256–2
- Allred DC, Harvey JM, Berardo M, Clark GM.Prognostic and predictive factors in breast cancer by immunohistochemical analysis. Modern Pathology: an Official Journal of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Inc.1998;11:155–168.
- Wolff AC, Hammond ME, Schwartz JN; American Society of Clinical Oncology, College of American Pathologists.Guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:118–145.
- Amat S, Penault-Llorca F, Cure H.Scarff-Bloom-Richardson (SBR) grading: a pleiotropic marker of chemosensitivity in invasive ductal breast carcinomas treated by neoadjuvant chemotherapy. International Journal of Oncology.2002;20(4):791–796.
- TaylorKM, VichovaP, JordanN, HiscoxS. ZIP7-mediated intracellular zinc transport contributes to aberrant growth factor signaling in antihormone-resistant breast cancer cells. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4912–4920.