Introduction. As in statistics of traumatism there are sexual distinctions, the assessment of sexual dimorphism in morphometric indicators of an orbit is an important prerequisite for planning of surgical reconstructive operations, implantations of orbital structures.
Purpose. Research objective is to assess morphometric indicators of an orbit of adults by sexes and to prove presence or absence of differences between them for receiving a morphometric standard of norm for each sex.
Materials and methods. Research was conducted with use of СT-scans of 96 people age from 21 to 74 years (48,6 ± 3,2 years) without pathologies of a craniofacial zone in their consent in Donetsk diagnostic center. According to Martin R. (1957), Alekseiev V. (1964), Chan L. L. et al. (2009), Gayvoronsky I. (2012), Ji Y. et al. (2010) approaches length of walls of an orbit, width and height of an entrance to the orbit, its depth, a slope angle of an entrance to the orbit as well as an angle between medial and lateral walls were measured. Verification of the obtained data on a normality was made with use of criterion χ2. Statistical data processing included an assessment of parameters of descriptive statistics and the correlation analysis. The assessment of distinctions between means of each indicator was carried out with use of Student's t-criterion. The correlation analysis was carried out on the basis of calculation of Pearson's coefficient of correlation, the subsequent assessment of the statistical reliability of obtained coefficients and calculation of confidence intervals of their average values.
Discussion. As a result of the analysis of the obtained data about means of morphometric indicators and their confidence intervals it is found out that individual variability of linear indicators at men and women has similarity and coincides with the main characteristics of a joint selection. At the same time, variability of angular indicators is different: man's selection has impact on stabilization of variability of an angle between medial and lateral walls and adds variability to an indicator of an angle of entry to an orbit in the general selection; influence of a female selection is opposite. Correlation between morphometric indicators in male and female series is weak and difference between coefficients of correlation is statistically insignificant. Lack of statistically reliable differences between average linear and angular values of orbits in male and female selections allows to use received data as authentically interchangeable as well as to take as a morphometric standard of their norm data of the general selection regardless of sex.
Keywords: orbit, morphometry, adults, sexual dimorphism.
- Drozdova E.A., Buharina E.S., Sirotkina I.A. [Epidemiology, classification, symptoms, diagnosis fractures orbit with blunt trauma (review)]Prakticheskaya meditsina: nauchno-prakticheskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal 2012:4 (59). Vol.2: 162-166.
- Gundorova, R.A., Neroev, V.V., Kashnikov, V.V. Travmy glaza [Eye traumas]. Mocsow: GEOTAR-Media. – P.560.
- Gundorova R.A., Kapelyushnikova N.I. [Structure of eye traumatism] Novyie tehnologii v plasticheskoy hirurgii pridatochnogo apparata glaza i orbityi v usloviyah chrezvyichaynyh situatsiy i katastrof: materalyi nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [Proceedings of scientific and practical conference: New technologies in plastic surgery of the accessorial apparatus of an eye and an orbit in the conditions of emergency situations and accidents.]. – Moscow: 2007. – PP. 152-154.
- Nikolaenko, V.P., Astahov, V.P. [Part 1. Epidemiology and classification of orbital fractures. Clinic and diagnosis of fractures of lower wall of an orbit] Oftalmologicheskie vedomosti 2009:Vol.II (2): 56-70.
- Skikevich, M.G., Voloshina L.I. [Features of treatment of the combined trauma of an average face zone and deformations] Svit medytsyny ta biologii 2013:3:132-135.
- Alekseev, V., Debets G. Kraniometriya. Metodika antropologicheskih issledovaniy [Craniometry. Technique of anthropological researches]. Moscow: Nauka, 1964, 128 p.
- Vovk, Yu. Klinicheskaya anatomiya golovy [Clinical anatomy of the head]. Luhansk: Elton-2, 2010, 196 p.
- Gayvoronskiy, I. V., Dolzhenkova, M.P. [Technique of assessment of an inclination of an entrance to an orbit] Usovershenstvovanie sposobov i apparatury, primenyaemyih v uchebnom protsesse, mediko-biologicheskih issledovaniyah i klinicheskoy praktike: sbornik izobreteniy i ratsionalnyih predlozheniy Voenno-meditsinskoy akademii, 2012:43, p. 43.
- Chan, L.L., Tan, H.E., Fook-Chong, S., Teo, T.H., Lim, L.H., Seah L.L.. Graves ophthalmopathy: the bony orbit in optic neuropathy, its apical angular capacity, and impact on prediction of risk. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2009 Mar;30(3):597-602. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A1413. Epub 2009 Jan 15.
- Ji, Y., Qian, Z., Dong, Y., Zhou, H., Fan, X. Quantitative morphometry of the orbit in Chinese adults based on a three-dimensional reconstruction method J Anat. 2010;217(5):501-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7580.2010.01286.x. Epub 2010 Aug 30.
- Bondarchuk, S., Godovannaya, I., Perevozkin, V. Osnovyi prakticheskoy biostatistiki [Fundamentals of practical biostatistics]. Tomsk: Izdatelstvo TGPU, 2009, 130 p.
- Glantz, S. Primer of biostatistics. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical Pub, 2012, 320 p.
- Tsipyaschuk, A.F. [The sizes and shape of an orbit in connection with a form of front department of a skull at adults]. Aspirantskie chteniya: materialy mezhregionalnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii [Proceedings of scientific conference: postgraduate readings, vol. II]. – Saratov, 2008, pp. 157-158. In Russian.
- Kalamanova, M.V., Shut, V.V., Stepanenko, V.V. [Facial bone structures according to a craniomtery, a telex-ray analysis and a computer and magnetic and resonant tomography] Materialy ХХХVI yubileynoy itogovoy konferentsii molodyih uchenyih Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo mediko-stomatologicheskogo universiteta [Proceedings of ХХХVI final conference of young scientists of Moscow state medico-stomatologic university]. – Moscow: MSMSU. – p. 36.