The study was aimed to evaluate the prognostic value of serum levels of glycosaminoglycans, aldosterone and MMP-9 in the changes of left ventricular myocardium geometry in patients with arterial hypertension (AH) combined with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). We examined 75 patients (48 men and 27 women) with AH combined with COPD. Patients were divided into 2 groups: 1 group consisted of patients with AH and COPD of II degree of bronchial obstruction (n = 37), 2 group – AH and COPD of III degree of bronchial obstruction (n = 38). Aldosterone and MMP-9 were determined by ELISA, the level of glycosaminoglycans – using resorcin method.While increasing of the degree of bronchial obstruction there was a gradual increase in the left ventricle parameters, progression of systolic dysfunction and increased left ventricular mass. In patients with AH and COPD III compared to patients with AH and COPD II there was marked increase in the levels of MMP-9 on 22,5%, chondroitin-6-sulfates – on 5,7% and decrease ща heparan sulphates / keratan sulfates on 15,7% (p <0,05). No significant differences in serum levels of aldosterone while progression of bronchial obstruction was found. In order to predict the increase of end-diastolic volume and left ventricular mass in patients with AH and COPD we calculated multiple regression equations by stepwise regression analysis using MMP-9, aldosterone and fractions of glycosaminoglycans.
Keywords: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chondroitin sulfates, glycosaminoglycans, aldosterone, left ventricle hypertrophy, matrix metalloprotease 9.
- Cavaillès, А. Comorbidities of COPD / Cavaillès, А., Brinchault-Rabin, G., Adrien Dixmier et al. // Eur. Respir. Rev. – 2013. – Vol.22 (130). – P. 454–475.
- García-Olmos, L. Comorbidity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in family practice: a cross sectional study/ García-Olmos, L., Alberquilla, A., Ayala, V. et al. // BMC Fam. Pract. – 2013. – №14. – P.11.
- Hawkins, N.M. Heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: diagnosis pitfalls and epidemiology / N.M. Hawkins, M.C. Petrie, P.S. Jhund [et al.] // Eur. J. Heart Fail. – 2009. – Vol.11(2). – P.130–139.
- MacFadyen, R. Aldosterone blockade reduces vascular collagen turnover, improves heart rate variability and reduces early morning rise in heart rate in heart failure patients / MacFadyen, R., Barr, C.S., and Struthers, A.D. // Cardiovasc. Res. – 1997. – 35. – P.30–34.
- Kelly, D. Plasma matrix metalloproteinase-9 and left ventricular remodelling after acute myocardial infarction in man: a prospective cohort study / D. Kelly, G. Cockerill, L.L. Ng, M. Thompson, S. Khan, N.J. Samani, I.B. Squire // Eur. Heart J. – 2007. – №28. – P.711–718.
- Seruga-Valdez, L. Upregulation of gelatinases A and B, collagenases 1 and 2, and increased parenchyma cell health in COPD / Seruga-Valdez, L., Pardo, A., Gaxiola, M. et al. // Chest. – 2000. – №117. – P.684–694.
- Vignola, A.M. Sputum metalloproteinase-9/tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 ratio correlates with airway obstruction in asthma and chronic bronchitis / Vignola, A.M., Riccobono, L., Mirabella, A. et al. // Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care. Med. – 1998. – №158. – P.1945–1950.
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD, Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) 2014. http://www.goldcopd.org
- Mancia, G. ESH/ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) / G. Mancia, R. Fagard, K. Narkiewicz [et al.] // J. Hypertens. – 2013. – 31(7). – P. 1281–1357.
- Patent UА 29198 MPC (2006) G 01N 33/48. Method of determination of fractions of sulfated hexosaminoglycans / State Institution "Prof. M. I. Sytenko Institute of Pathology of Spine and Joints of NAMSU" Kharkov State Zooveterynaric Academy / F.S. Leontyeva, V.A. Filipenko, O.P. Timoshenko [et al.]. – №u200708505; request data 24.07.2007; publ. data 26.11.2007. – Bull. № 20.
- Brajer, B. Concentration of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in serum of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and a degree of airway obstruction and disease progression / Brajer, B., Batura-Gabryel, H., Nowicka, A., Kuznar-Kaminska, B., and Szczep Anik, A. // Journal of physiology and pharmacology. – 2008. – №59(6). – P.145–152.
- Culpitt, S.V. Sputum matrix metalloproteinases: comparison between chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma / Culpitt, S.V., Rogers, D.F., Travers, S.L., Barnes, P.J., and Donnelly, L.E. // Respir. – 2005. – № 99. – P.703–710.
- Zannad, F. Limitation of excessive extracellular matrix turnover may contribute to survival benefit of spironolactone therapy in patients with congestive heart failure / Zannad, F., Alla, F., Dousset, B. et al. // Circulation. – 2000. – №102. – P.2700–2706.