Introduction. Graves' disease in 60% of cases is followed by osteopenic bone disorders. Women are affected more than men. Moreover, bone disorders most often occur in women under the age of menopause. In Ukraine medical treatment (thyreostatic) or surgical treatment is most often used for treatment of Graves' disease.
Purpose. To determine the most effective methods of treatment for diffuse toxic goiter with correction of osteopenic complications in the women of different age – reproductive and menopausal.
Materials and methods. The patients with thypoid disorders were investigated – 36 of reproductive age and 29 menopausal, as well as healthy individuals (12 and 5, correspondingly). The examination included: ultrasound determination of the thyroid gland volume, mineral bone tissue density evaluation by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry with reference criteria T- and Z-score calculation, and measurement of thyroid hormones and TSH with thyroid hormone immunoassay methods. Then, the patients were prescribed different treatments. All patients were administered Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplements for prevention. After that, two different age groups were given "Alpha-D3-Тeva" – medication for reproductive age; "Bonviva" (bisphosphonates group), "Bivalos" (Strontium ranelate) – for menopausal age. The preparations were taken for 12 months with a break for one month every 3 months of intake.
Results. Two other different age groups were treated surgically. It has been demonstrated that the surgical method of treatment of diffuse toxic goiter combined with anti-osteopenia medications leads to a more effective increase of the bone tissue mineral density values than medication method in attainment of euthyroid condition at the background of anti-osteopenia medications in both age groups of patients.
Keywords: reproductive age, menopause, osteopenia, osteoporosis, thyroid hormones, bone tissue density, medication treatment, surgical treatment.
- Golovach YuI. [Evropeyskiy kongress po osteoporozu i osteoartritu: osmyslenie novykh dannykh]. Zdorov’ya Ukraїni. 2012;2(22):86–88.
- Osteoporoz / pod red. OM Lesnyak, LI Benevolenskoy. 2-e izd. Moskva: GEOTAR-Media, 2010. 272 p.
- GogakosAI, Duncan Bassett JH, Williams GR. Thyroid and bone. 2010;503(1):129–136.
- Vestergaard P, Mosekilde L. Hyperthyroidism, bone mineral, and fracture risk- a meta-analysis. Thyroid. 2003;13:585–593.
- Lee WY, Oh KW, Rhee EJ. Relationship between subclinical thyroid dysfunction and femoral neck bone mineral density in women. 2006;37(4):511–516.
- Povoroznyuk VV, Grigorieva NV. Menopauzata. Kiev: Ukraїns'ka asotsіatsіya, 2002. 356 p.
- Jabbar S, Drury J, Fordham JN, Jabbar S. Osteoprotegerin, RANKL and bone turnoval in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J.Clin. 2011;64(4):354–357.
- Rozhinskaya LYa, Belaya ZhE. [Osteoporoz v praktike vracha-endokrinologa: sovremennye metody lecheniya]. Farmateka. 2010;3:39–45.
- Shuba NM. [Osteoporoz – aktual'naya problema XXI veka: sovremennoe predstavlenie o patogeneze i terapii]. Ukr. revmatol. zhurn. 2008;2:5-14.
- Atramentova LA, Utevskaya OM. Statisticheskie metody v biologii: uchebnik dlya stud. vyssh. uch. zav. Gorlovka:Vidavnitstvo Lіkhtar, 2008. 248 p.
- Beketova T. [Preparaty kal'tsiya v profilaktike i lechenii osteoporoza]. Vrach. 2008;10:71–74.
- Richy F, Schacht E, Bruyere O et al.Vitamin D analogs versus native vitamin D in preventing bone loss and osteoporosis-related fractures: a comparative meta-analysis. Calcif. Tissue Int. 2005;76:176–186.
- Gromova OA, Gupalo EM. [Rol' kal'tsiya i vitamina D v profilaktike osteoporoza v zerkale dokazatel'noy meditsiny: (lektsiya dlya prakt. vrachey)].Ginekologiya. 2008;10(5):61–70.
- Jabbar S, Drury J., Fordham JN. et al. Osteoprotegerin, RANKL and bone turnoval in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J.Clin.Pathol. 2011;64(4):354–357.
- Amaresh Reddy P, Harinarayan CV, Alok Sachan et al. Bone disease in thyrotoxicosis. Indian J Med Res. 2012;135(3):277–286.
- Farr JN, Khosla S, Miyabara Y at al. Effects of estrogen with micronized progesterone on cortical and trabecular bone mass and microstructure in recently postmenopausal women. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2013;98:249–257.
- Totoyan ES [Reproduktivnaya funktsiya jensthin pri patologii shitovidnoy jelezy]. AkusherstvoI1994;1:8–10.
- Ignacak A, Kasztelnik M, Sliwa T et al. Prolactin-not only lactotrophin. A "new" view of the "old" hormone. 2012;63(5):435–443.
- Rodan G, Reszka A, Golub E, Rizzoli R. Bone safety of long-term bisphosphonate treatment. Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2004;20(8):1291–1300.
- Reginster JY, Seeman E, de Vemejoul MC et al. Strontium ranelate reduces the risk of non-vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: Treatment of Peripheral Osteoporosis (TROPOS) study. J. Clin. Endocr. Metab. 2005;90:2816–2822.