Actuality: There is a change of the general range of infectious agents and their sensitivity to antibiotics. Besides increasing role of opportunistic fungi most of all fungi of the genus Candida in the pathogenesis of infectious diseases of ENT organs is found, and increasing number of strains of the genus Candida fungi resistant to many antifungal preparations is noted.
Objective: studying of the species composition of microflora in ENT pathology and determination of its susceptibility to antimicrobial agents.
Materials and methods: Bacteriological research of various clinical materials from 347 patients with infectious diseases of ENT organs is conducted. Microbiological examination included an isolation of pathogens, identification by morphological, cultural and biochemical properties, determination of the sensitivity of microflora to antibiotics by a diffusion method in agar (the method of standard discs).
Results and discussion: The study found that the leading role in the etiology of infectious disorders of the ear, nose, throat belonged to streptococci of viridans group, S. aureus, S. epidermidis, S. anhemolyticus and fungi Candida species. The greatest sensitivity of all isolated strains was shown to cephoperazone and ciprofloxacin. Tigecycline, ceftriaxone, cephepime and meronem revealed high activity against all bacteria except E. faecalis. Proportion of Candida species was 22.9 %, and 85.8 % of the strains isolated from the nasopharynx, and 81.8 % of the strains isolated from the external ear have been presented in association with the bacteria. 82.5–98.4 % strains were resistant to azoles and amphotericin. Isolated strains of fungi have shown the greatest sensitivity to nystatin.
Conclusions: The obtained data confirmed the requirement to determine the most significant pathogenic flora, which causes diseases of the ENT organs and the respiratory tract organs, its sensitivity to antibiotics, monitoring of resistance at the level of the individual patient, as well as at the regional and country level.
Keywords: microflora of upper respiratory tract, sensitivity to antibiotics, upper respiratory tract infections.
- Volosovets AP, Kryvopustov, SP, Yulish EI. [Modern views on the problem of antibiotic resistance and its overcoming in clinical pediatrics]. Gazeta «Novosti mediciny i farmacii», Antimikrobnaja i protivovirusnaja terapіja. 2008;236. Retrieved from: http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article/4800.
- Yulish EI, Podolyaka VL, Bukhtiyarov EV, Koreneva LS. [Change of etiological structure of pathogens of community-acquired pneumonia and their sensitivity to antibiotics in children over five years (2001–2006)]. Zdorov'e rebenka. 2006;2. Retrieved from: http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article/927.
- Booth G. Antibiotikorezistentnost'. [Antibiotic Resistance. Perspective on the problem and its solution]. Gazeta «Novosti mediciny i farmacii» Antimikrobnaja i protivovirusnaja terapija. 2008;263. Retrieved from: http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article/6898.
- Kuzyk PV, Kurovets LM. [The Evolution of antibiotic resistance of staphylococci: a global threat and new strategic directions of chemotherapy]. Proceedings of The XIII Congress of society of microbiologists of Ukraine named after. SM. Vinogradsky. Yalta, 2013, p. 275.
- Shostakovich-Koretskaya LR. [The Problem of antimicrobial resistance in the treatment of acute respiratory infections in children]. Zhurnal «Zdorov'e rebenka». 2011;3(30). Retrieved from: http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article/21925.
- Costelloe C, Metcalfe C, Lovering A, Mant D, Hay AD. Effect of antibiotic prescribing in primary care on antimicrobial resistance in individual patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010;340:2096.
- Canton R, Morosini MI. Emergence and spread of antibiotic resistance following exposure to antibiotics. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 2011;35(5):977–991.
- Zabolotnyi DI, Wolska EG. [Modern diagnosis and treatment of fungal infections of the upper respiratory tract and ear]. Mistectvo lіkuvannja. 2004;4. Retrieved from: http://m-l.com.ua/?aid=163.
- Smiyanov VA, Ivakhnyuk TV. [The problem of candida-bacterial associations in diseases of ENT-organs]. Gazeta «Novosti mediciny i farmacii». 2007;17(224). Retrieved from: http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article/3804.
- Bars’ky OB, Yaremchuk SE, Vol’s’ka OG. [Mycoses of the ENT-organs: etiology, diagnostics, medical treatment]. Medicina zalіznichnogo transportu Ukraїni. 2004;4:41–44.
- Sopkova JV, Kostenko IG, Pokas EV. [Candida. Properties and role in the etiology of human diseases (Part 4)]. Ukraїns'kij medichnij vіsnik. 2015;3(96). Retrieved from: http://therapia.ua/therapia/2015-/3-96/kandidy-svoistva-i-rol-v-etiologii-zabolevanii-cheloveka-chast-41.
- Zabolotnyy DI, Zaritskaya IS, Wolska, OG. [The Role of fungi in the pathology of the upper respiratory tract and ear]. Zhurn. vushnih, nosovih і gorlovih hvorob. 2002;5:2-15.
- Pukhlik SM, Titarenko OV. [Mycosis in otorhinolaryngology. The experience with the drug "Micofin"]. Zhurn. vushnih, nosovih і gorlovih hvorob. 2011;2:35-49.
- Sergeev AYu, Sergeev YuV. [Modern antimycotics and principles of antifungal therapy]. Gribkovye infekcii: rukovodstvo dlja vrachej. 2004;55–143.
- Goіbek K. Strzelczyk JK., Owczarek A. Selected mechanisms of molecular resistance of Candida albіcans to azole drugs. Acta Biochim. Pol. 2015;21:47–52.
- On Approval Guidelines "Determination of the Sensitivity of Microorganisms to Antibiotics." Ministry of Public Health of USSR Mandate dated 05.04.2007 № 167. 52p.
- On the Unification of microbiological (bacteriological) research methods used in clinical diagnostic laboratories of medical institutions: Ministry of Public Health of USSR Mandate dated 22.04.1985 № 535. 123p.