The aim of study was to assess indicators of vascular stiffness in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) along with chronic heart failure (CHF). The total number of patients under study was 94. They were matched by age and sex in all study groups. Patients with COPD have made up the 1st study group (n = 56). The 2nd group consisted of patients with COPD along with the CHF (n = 20). The control group consisted of male smokers with no evidence of COPD and CHF (n = 18). Applanation tonometry with contour analysis of pulse wave was made for measuring the central aortic pressure and carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity (PWV) using the SphygmoCor device (AtCor Medical, Australia). The following parameters were assessed: systolic, diastolic, pulse pressure in the aorta, augmentation pressure in the aorta, PWV. Investigation results showed that COPD patients have stable significant increase of central arteries stiffness that is evident as increase of PWV in the aorta (9.7 ± 0.9 m/s and 6.3 ± 0.6 m/s correspondingly) and increase of pressure augmentation (9.1 ± 0.05 mmHg and 6.1 ± 0.9 mm Hg, correspondingly) compared with patients in the control group. The increase of arterial stiffness grows synchronously with the severity of disease. There was found significant more increased PWV in patients with COPD along with CHF compared with those without CHF and it was 12.8 ± 0.7 m/s and 9.7 ± 0.9 m/s correspondingly. In both study groups there has been observed significant increase of PWV in patients with body weight index (BWI) < 24.9 kg/m2 compared to those who have BWI > 25 kg/m2.
Keywords: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic heart failure, arterial stiffness, pulse wave velocity, augmentation pressure.
- Gaynitdinova VV, Bakirov AB, Ahmetzyanova EH et al. [Arterial stiffness of peripheral vessels in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and with its combination with arterial hypertension]. Kazanskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal. 2013; 6: 808-812.
- Makarova MA, Avdeev CN. [Arterial stiffness and endothelial dysfunction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]. Pulmonology. 2011; 4: 109–117.
- Vanfleteren LE, Spruit MA, Groenen MT et al. Arterial stiffness in patients with COPD: the role of systemic inflammation and the effects of pulmonary rehabilitation. Eur. Respir. J. 2014; 43(5): 1306–1315.
- Hopko OF, Prykhodko NP. [Features of elastic properties of vessels in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and concomitant cardiovascular pathology]. Aktualni problemy suchasnoi medytsyny: Visnyk ukrainskoi medychnoi stomatolohichnoi akademii. 2014; 14 (4): 56–59.
- Engstrom G, Wollmer P, Hedblad B et al. Occurrence and prognostic significance of ventricular arrhythmia is related to pulmonary function: a study from "men born in 1914", Malmo, Sweden. Circulation. 2001; 103: 3086–3091.
- Huiart L, Ernst P, Suissa S. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in COPD. Chest. 2005; 128: 2640–2646.
- Rosengren A, Wilhelmsen L. Respiratory symptoms and long-term risk of death from cardiovascular disease, cancer and other causes in Swedish men. Int. J. Epidemiol. 1998; 27: 962–969.
- Makarova MA, Avdeev CN. [Arterial stiffness and endothelial dysfunction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]. Internet-zhurnal po funktsionalnoy diagnostike. 2014; 26: 3–14.
- Korneva VA, Otmahov VV, Druzhilov MA et al. [Arterial stiffness is a new marker of cardiovascular diseases]. CardioSomatika. 2012; 3 (1): 34–37.
- Storozhalov G, Chervyakova Yu. [Evaluation of elastic properties of the arterial wall in patients with arterial hypertension]. Vrach. 2005; 11: 33–36.
- Laurent S, Cockcroft J, Van Bortel L et al. Expert consensus document on arterial stiffness: methodological issues and clinical applications. Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 2588–2605.
- Aksenova TA, Gorbunov VV, Tsarenok SYu. [Elastic properties of blood vessels in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in combination with arterial hypertension]. Far East Medical Journal. 2013; 2: 10–12.
- Lukyanov MM, Boytsov SA. [Stiffness of the arterial wall as a factor of cardiovascular risk]. Heart. 2010; 9 (3): 156–160.
- Polivoda SN, Cherepok AA, Sychev RA. [Methodical approaches to the examination of patients and clinical interpretation of data when assessing the elastic properties of arterial vessels at the present stage]. Ukrainian cardiology journal. 2003; 2: 109–117.
- Chervyakova YuB. Otsenka elasticheskih svoystv arteriy u bolnyh s arterialnoy gipertenziey raznyh vozrastnyh grupp [Evaluation of the elastic properties of arteries in patients with arterial hypertension of different age groups]. Avtoref. diss. kand. med. nauk. Мoscow, 2007. 26 p.
- Mitchell GF, SJ Hwang, RS Vasan et al. Arterial stiffness and cardiovascular events Study: the Framingham Heart. Circulation. 2010; 121 (4): 505–511.
- Boytsov SA, Karpov YuA, Kuharchuk VV et al. [The problems of identifying individuals with high cardiovascular risk and possible solutions]. Ateroskleroz i Dislipidemii. 2010; 1 (1): 8–14.
- Radchenko AD, Miheeva KV, Sirenko YuN et al. Klinicheskoe issledovanie ELIZA. Rezultaty 6-mesyachnogo nablyudeniya [Clinical study ELISA. Results of a 6-month follow-up]. Donetsk: Izd. dom «Zaslavskiy», 2011. 64 p.
- Nazarova OA, Maslennikova OM, Fomin FYu. Otsenka elasticheskih svoystv sosudov v klinike vnutrennih bolezney [Evaluation of the elastic properties of blood vessels in the clinic of internal diseases]. Ivanovo, 2007. 96 p.
- Hansell AL, Walk JA, Soriano JB. What do chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients die from? A multiple cause coding analysis. Eur. Respir. J. 2003; 22: 809–814