Authors: Shevchenko О.A., Dorogan S.B., Kaniuka H.S., Gubar I.A.,Prunkevych О.G., Golovatenko M.К.
Introduction. After the Chernobyl accident radio-anxiety of the population remains one of the most acute psychosocial problems in Ukraine, especially in the regions where uranium is extracted and processed. Uranium raw material – basis of nuclear fuel for nuclear energy – has been processed in Zhovti Vody of Dnipropetrovsk region since 1950s. Zhovti Vody is a unique place. The city is surrounded with the uranium production facilities: the hydrometallurgical factory and the uranium waste tailing damp.
Purpose. Our aim was to estimate perceived health status of Zhovti Vody citizens (population category «В») and the employees of the industrial complex «Eastern Mining Processing Plant» (MPP), who work with radiation sources daily (categories «A» and «B»).
Materials and Methods. We checked the health status of average Zhovti Vody citizens (102) and industrial complex employees (104), who work with radiation sources daily. The samplings deferred only by the place of employment of respondents. The average age of respondents (M ± m) was 41.6 ± 0.9 years. The gender (р > 0.9) and age (р > 0.7) characteristics were similar for both groups. The applied research methods were developed and tested by the specialists of V. M. Bekhterev Psychoneurological Research Institute (Saint Petersburg).
1. According to the integral estimation of the perceived discomfort condition: the employees complained less of pain, but citizens who did not work in the industrial complex complained more.
2. Mental health of the population corresponds to the low (by anxiety and frustration indices) and middle assessment levels (on the constriction and aggressiveness scales). However, the employees of the industrial complex showed the lower degree of symptom expression.
3. The majority of population (88.3 %) showed the low level of social frustration regardless to the place of employment.
4. The correlation between physical and mental health statuses (anxiety, constriction, psychological and social frustration) confirmed interaction between pain and psychological symptoms.
The employees of the industrial complex showed better estimation of perceived health status comparing with citizens, who work in other institutions. Thus, the employees of any industrial complexes normally express less radio-anxiety, because they work with radioactive sources daily.
Key words: radio-anxiety of the population, perceived health status, psychophysiological assessment, anxiety, frustration, aggression, rigidity.
- ShevchenkoOA, DoroganSB, SydorenkoPI. [Sanitaryaspectsradioanxietythe populationwholivesintheregionswhereuraniumisminedandsmelted]. Vestnikhygieneandepidemiology. 2012;2(16):167.
- ShevchenkoAA, DoroganSB, SidorenkoPI, YarynichKV. [Social and personality perception aspects of oncologic risks in uranium mining regions]. Problemshealthandecology. 2013;1(35):144–150.
- TarasiukOYe, LosIP, ShabuninaND, Shevchenko GM, Gushchuk ІV, Kulakova ОV, Kuznetsov VI. [Estimation of the role of Chornobyl accident by population of Rivne region among the most significant factors of possible negative influence on the health]. Environmentandhealth. 2012;1:21–26.
- Zykova IA, Arkhangelskaia GV. Radiotrevozhnost naseleniia zagriaznennykh territorii i mery po ee snizheniiu: posobie dlia spetsialistov Rospotrebnadzora [Radioanxiety of the population who lives in contaminated territories and steps for its reduction: guidelines for the Rospotrebnadzor experts]. Moscov: Minzdrav RF Publ., 1999, 28 p.
- StratehichnyiplanrozvytkumistaZhovtiVodyDnipropetrovskoina2008–2020 roky [ThestrategicdevelopmentplanforthecityZhovtiVodyDnipropetrovsRegionin 2008–2020]. ZhovtiVodyPubl., 2007, pp.6.
- ZvitprostannavkolyshnohoseredovyshchavDnipropetrovskiiza 2010 rik[ReportthestateenvironmentDnipropetrovskregionin 2010]. Dnipropetrovsk: Administration of the government of environmental protection in Dnipropetrovsk region Publ., 2011, pp.63.
- NormyradiatsiinoibezpekyUkrainy (NRBU-97) [StandardsradiationsafetyUkraine (NRBU-97)]. Kyiv: MinistryHealthCareUkraine Publ., 1996, 127 p.
- Yokoyama S; Advisory Committee for Natural Resources and Energy. How to face concerns of radiation effects. Second Meeting of Working Group on Voluntary Efforts and Continuous Improvement of Nuclear Safety. Fujita Health University Publ., 2013, 20 p.
- FearandFukushima. Retrieved from: http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Fear_and_Fukushima_0309131.html
- Kornatska AH, Danylenko OH, Brazhuk MV. [Psychoemotional state and the possibility of its correction in women with the reproductive losses]. Zdorovie zhenshchiny. 2011;4(60):103–105.
- Raigorodskii DYa, editor. Prakticheskaia psikhodiagnostika. Metodika i testy [Practical psychodiagnosis. Methodsandtests]. Samara: Bakhrakh-M Publ., 2001, 672 p.
- Brahler E, Schumacher J, Brahler C. First all-Germany standardization of the brief form of the Gissen Complaints Questionnaire GBB-24. Psychotherapie, Psychosomatik, Medizinische Psychologie.2000;50(1):14–21.
- Prehler M, Kupfer J, Brahler E. [The Giessen Symptom Questionnaire for children and adolescents]. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 1992;42(2):71–76.
- Poviakel NI, Fedorenko A. Profilaktyka profesiinoi dezadaptatsii psykholohiv-praktykiv [Prevention of professional disadaptation among practical psychologists]. Kyiv: Sh. svit Publ., 2011, pp. 61.
- Varii MY. Zahalna psykholohiia. Navchalnyi posibnyk [General psychology. Text book]. Kyiv: Tsentr uchbovoi literatury Publ., 2007, 499 p.
- Ilin EP. Psikhologiia individualnykh razlichii [Psychology of individual differences]. Saint Petersburg: Piter Publ., 2004, 701p.
- Lemak MV. Petryshche YuV. Psykholohy dlia roboty: diahnostychni metodyky [Tips for a psychologist: diagnostic principles]. Uzhhorod: A. Harkushi Publ., 2012, 616 p.
- Vasserman LI, Iovlev BV, Berebin MA. Metodika dlia psikhologicheskoi diagnostiki urovnia sotsialnoi frustirovannosti i ee prakticheskoe primenenie: metodicheskie rekomednatsii [Methods to diagnose the level of social frustration and their practical application: guidelines]. Saint Petersburg: Saint Petersburg Research Psychoneurological Institute named after VM Bekhterev Publ., 2004, 27
- Rebrova OYu. Statisticheskii analiz meditsinskikh dannykh. Primenenie paketa prikladnykh programm STATISTICA [Statistical analysis of medical data. Use of the STATISTICA application program]. Moscow: Media Sfera Publ., 2002, 312 p.
- Angst F, Verra ML, Lehmann S, Aeschlimann A, Angst J. Refined insights into the pain-depression association in chronic pain patients. Clin. J. Pain. 2008;24(9):808–
- Bair MJ, Robinson RL, Katon W, Kroenke K. Depression and pain comorbidity: a literature review. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163(20):2433–
- Kondratev MYu, Ilin VA. Azbuka sotsialnogo psikhologa-praktika [The alphabet for practical social psychologist]. Moscow: PER SE Publ., 2007, 464 p.
- Izard CE. The psychology of emotions. Springer. 2004, 476 p.